The engineering design of the IFMIF-DONES facility is nearing its completion and the start of the construction activities is expected soon. To better prepare for the scientific opportunities offered at the new facility we are calling this First IFMIF-DONES Users Workshop.
The IFMIF-DONES Users' Workshop will be held as video-conference on September 26-28, 2022
Key objectives of the Workshop are to identify new ideas that could still be implemented in the design of the facility, review the priorities of the irradiation programme, as well as to build up an IFMIF-DONES user´s community for fusion and non-fusion related applications.
- Current status of IFMIF-DONES design and the construction and commissioning plan.
- Definition of pre-DONES activities: irradiation database and technologies to be developped before using the facility.
- Roadmap of material qualification for DEMO at IFMIF-DONES.
- High Flux Test Module: structural materials irradiation needs for fusion applications including planning of sample loads and their post irradiationr exploitation.
- Other irradiation modules to be placed in the high-flux radiation environment.
- Opportunities for the production of radioisotopes at DONES.
- Collimated neutron beam facility, proposed experiments and operation mode.
- Implementation of a neutron time-of-flight facility at DONES - feasibility evaluation and experimental opportunities.
- Any other possible experiments.
We kindly invite you to send abstracts and contribute to the discussion. The program will be composed of a small number of key-note talks to introduce the proposed topics along with a number of contributed presentations selected based on submitted abstracts. Participation of young researchers is encouraged. The authors of posters will be invited to present short 3 minute flash talks to present their contributions.
The workshop will be held in Dubrovnik, Croatia, following the SOFT 2022 Symposium on Fusion Technologies. While in-person participation is encouraged the meeting will be organized in hybrid mode to allow for remote participation as well.
Abstracts are due before June 15th. More detailed information along with a schematic program of the meeting will be distributed by June 30, 2022. The discussion and conclusions of the meeting will be compiled and published as a report.
We are looking forward to your contributions and participation.
Angel Ibarra, Wojciech Królas, Tonči Tadić
Information about the present status of IFMIF-DONES design can be found in:
- A. Ibarra et al., “The European approach to the fusion-like neutron source: the IFMIF-DONES project”, https://doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/ab0d57
- W. Królas et al., “The IFMIF-DONES fusion oriented neutron source: evolution of the design”, https://doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/ac318f
- J. Hirtz et al., “Neutron availability in the Complementary Experiments Hall of the IFMIF-DONES facility”, https://doi.org/10.48550/arXiv.2201.08711
“IFMIF-DONES Plant Description Document”, Eurofusion Report 2MP8HQ v3.0, available upon request.
Scientific Advisory Panel
- Frederik Arbeiter (Karlsruhe)
- Daniel Cano Ott (CIEMAT)
- Eberhard Diegele (retired)
- Hiroyasu Tanigawa (QST)
- Alain Letourneau (Saclay)
- Marek Lewitowicz (GANIL)
- Adam Maj (Kraków)
- Gerald Pintsuk (Jülich)
- Angel Ibarra (Head of IFMIF-DONES Consortium)
- Wojciech Królas (Chair or the Users Workshop)
- Tonci Tadic (Local Organizing Committee)